Sunday, March 26, 2017

Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? - Color Unit Go-Along Books

Brown Bear, Brown Bear was our main book for these two weeks, but that doesn't mean we didn't read lots of other color books!


I thought I would share E's favorites:

Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by James Dean & Eric Litwin - I must have sounded so dorky singing Pete's song, but E got such a kick out of it.  She was calling out the color of Pete's shoes before I even turned the page by the end of the first week.

Freight Train by Donald Crews  - Read how I made this book more interactive here.  I don't know why such a simple book was such a big hit.  When I would tell E to grab one of the color books for me to read to her, this was ALWAYS her first choice.

The Mixed Up Chameleon by Eric Carle - Confession: this book creeps me out!  BUT E loveeed it.  So we read it.  Over, and over, and over again.  A chameleon is tired of living a boring life and wishes it had body parts from all kinds of different animals, making a very mixed up chameleon!

Monsters Love Colors by Mike Austin - Monsters with crayons!  E isn't really into monsters so we only read this a few times, but I'm including it because I think many other children would enjoy it.

Duck & Goose Colors by Tad Hills - We love Duck & Goose books around here!  This one explores colors, and made E giggle with all the lovely illustrations.

Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh - Read how I made this book more interactive here.  Three mice jump into puddles of paint and splash around making new colors.

White Rabbit's Color Book by Alan Baker - Similar concept to Mouse Paint, a white rabbit bathes in jars of paint, then mixes colors and washes himself clean over and over until there isn't any more water left.

A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni - A chameleon is sad at never having a color of his own.  Hoping to finally stay one color, it rests on a leaf, only the leaf changes colors with seasons until it falls to the ground.  The chameleon meets another chameleon who suggests they stick together and while they will still change colors, they will always be the same color together.

Little Green Peas by Keith Baker - Another silly book that made E giggle like crazy.  Each page has a color written and objects matching that color.  Turning the page you read "and little green peas!".  Seriously, a toddler favorite.  E knew what was coming when I turned the page and would go bananas over the green peas.

This one was my favorite:

Rainbow Stew by Cathryn Falwell - I loved the illustrations and the rhyming text of this book.  It follows siblings spending the a rainy day at their grandparent's house.  They go outside in the garden and pick all kinds of fresh colorful vegetables for their grandpa's famous Rainbow Stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment