Monday, March 27, 2017

Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? - Introduction

Hi there!  Welcome to my introduction post on our new two week unit:  Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? by Nancy White Carlstrom.  


This is one of the books to make it into our reading pile that was on the Before Five in a Row list.  Let me confess something:  I had not heard of this book before I started researching BFIAR.  I also bought this on blind faith that it would make a good unit for our curriculum based on the book summary and reviews.  So this is one of the few books we will be working on that E does not have any prior knowledge of (we hadn't read Ask. Mr. Bear either).  So I am hoping this will catch her attention.  

This is a book that can go in so many different ways as far as a 'theme' goes.  For us, we are going to be focusing on a few points these next two weeks.  

First, we are going to be working on our independent life skills, and care of self.  These baskets/activities will not be part of our regular shelf work, but will be incorporated into our every day routines.  I am going to start making it a point to have items more easily accessible to E so she can work on her independence.  

As far as 'schooling' goes, we are going to be working on an 'all about me' theme.  This means, working on naming more body parts (she already knows a good amount of them), practicing saying our name, and recognizing it written.  Learning about healthy eating (this will probably be a bulk of our vocabulary as well), exercise and gross motor skills (using our body), we will also discuss weather a little bit (this is a separate theme for later) and what to wear during different types of weather and seasons.  

I think this is a good time for us to do this unit, E has shown a lot more willingness to learn about chores and is always trying to help, so I think this will be a good fit for her.  Stay tuned for my video/post on our shelf work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment